With schools out for the year and summer beginning, parents may feel challenged to keep their children engaged. Due to non-congregate feeding for summer meals sites and the uncertainty regarding the reopening of parks, children may spend more time at home. To help out, here is a small catalogue of online resources that promotes learning as well as health and fitness. We will regularly release new resources and activities, and feel free to suggest your own and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Whether you live down state and aren’t super familiar with these places or you live in Chicago and miss going into these facilities in person, this is a list for you. Explore world-renowned institutions such as the Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, and Adler Planetarium from your home! These Chicago based resources encourage educational learning and fun for a variety of interests. Keep your kids engaged throughout the summer with virtual exhibits, online books, video series, and more.
- Sea Curious: Shedd Aquarium – The Sea Curious video series showcases many sea creatures through the framework of questions encouraging children’s natural curiosity.
- Adler Planetarium Online Exhibitions – Explore the Adler Planetarium through virtual exhibits with Google Arts & Culture.
- Field Museum Learning Resources – Support learners engaging with science, nature, and world cultures through the learning resources provided by the Field Museum.
- Hit Play Chicago – Set foot inside Chicago’s favorite cultural institutions through virtual field trips.
- Chicago Public Library: Online Resources for Kids – Chicago Public Library provides online resources from learning tools to academic support.